Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Walmart Sells Religious Warfare Instructional Video

A video game that Fred Clarkson, an expert on the Religious Right, describes as "an instructional video for religious warfare aimed at children" is being sold by more than 10,000 retailers in the United States. Walmart, one of the nation's biggest video game sellers, has no plans to pull the game from its shelves. Here's a comment from a spokesperson for Walmart:

"We look at the community to see where it will sell," said Tara Raddohl. "We have customers who are buying it and really haven't received a lot of complaints about it from our customers at this time."
Had the game had been produced by Muslims or militant atheists and targeted Christians for either conversion or annihilation, you can be certain that the religious right would be screaming about children being indoctrinated and trained to wage war on Christians. Since the game was produced by Christians and targets everyone who is not an Evangelical for either conversion or annihilation, the religious right thinks the Left Behind: Eternal Forces video game will make a wonderful Christmas present.

A reviewer for a publication affiliated with James Dobson's Focus on the Family says it is "the kind of game that Mom and Dad can actually play with Junior -- and use to raise some interesting questions along the way."

Some of the questions that Junior could ask are:

1) Why is this game set in New York City? Does God want me to shoot my fellow Americans?

2) Why are the forces of evil associated with the United Nations? Is God opposed to the United Nations?

3) Why do I have to kill everyone who will not convert to evangelical Christianity? Does God hate unbelievers?

4) Why do I hear "Praise the Lord" every time I kill someone? Does God want me to kill people?

5) Why do I lose "Spirit points" every time I come near a rock musician? Is rock music evil?

6) Does Jesus want me to love my enemies or blow them away?

7) Is Christianity a religion of peace or a religion of war?

8) What would Jesus do? Would he play this game?

3 comments:

William Bollinger said...

It isn't just WalMart. I've seen it in other stores too.

What bothers me isn't a store like WalMart selling trash like this; selling trash is what they do. It's the fact that people are actually buying it. Rebellious teenagers I can understand, but "Christians" buying it because it's "what they believe in". This is the real damage that has been done to our country.

Daryl Cobranchi said...

TBs appear to be broken, but I linked you here. Several good comments.

P.M. Prescott said...

Kind of hard to censor such a despicable game, since other games have people killing police, women, gays, etc.
Let us pray that Christian parents will abhor the violence in this video game as much as they should the others. From what I encountered at Glorieta's game room last month, not much hope for that.