Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Revamping This Weblog

It's obvious that I've reformatted this weblog and have given it a different look and feel. I'm also going to make some additions to the content that I put on it.

I've decided to add a little organization to assure a more consistent flow of reflective content. I'll continue to post the usual notes and comments on the news and current events of the day. Items of interest to Baptists will be a constant staple. In addition, I'm going to schedule days to write brief notes on research that I've done and am doing on the following issues:

On Mondays, I'll try to post blogs on political philosophy and/or ethical issues. Ethical issues have always been of interest to me, but had no interest in political philosophy until after 9-11. Trying to decipher the ideology prompting this administration to use that tragedy to revoke the most basic civil and human rights, to launch an never-ending "war against terror," and to initiate an unprovoked war to acquire control over Iraqi oil has forced me, almost against my will, to begin studying political philosophy. As time and schedule permit, I'll share bits and pieces of what I've learned and am learning about the philosophy and practice of politics on Mondays.

On Tuesdays, I'll try to post blogs on the philosophy and theology of love. This has been the chief theological interest of my entire life. My doctoral dissertation is on the "symbolism of love." After slogging through the slippery, sometimes slimy world of political thought and ideology on Mondays, I'm going to need to spend a day focused on the highest and most universal values.

On Wednesdays, I'll try to post blogs on religious liberty. More than anything else, the Baptist heritage regarding "soul liberty," "liberty of conscience" and religious liberty is what makes me proud to distinguish myself from the traditions of other Christians and unashamed to be a Baptist. I am ashamed of how poorly most contemporary Baptists understand and uphold this component of our tradition.

On Thursdays, I'll try to post blogs about the meaning and significance of conscience. My interest in conscience began twelve years ago when Dr. Curtis Freeman, (then professor at Houston Baptist University, now at Duke University) was trying to convince me to sign the "Baptist Manifesto." I came to the conclusion that Freeman and the other signers of that Manifesto had a defective understanding of conscience. Off and on, I've been studying the literature about conscience ever since. I'll be sharing bits and pieces of what I've discovered in this research.

On Fridays, I'll try to post brief blogs about philosophical theology and/or hermeneutics. Hermeneutics is the science of interpretation. It began with the desire to more completely understand scriptures. Many contemporary philosophers have come to realize that processes of interpretation play a key role in every area of human understanding. I'll share brief insights that may be of value to ministers and teachers from these often technical discussions.

As has always been the case, my blogging is done as time and schedule permit.

2 comments:

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

I like the new look. I still wish people without google accounts could comment. I had to get a google account just to leave you this message.

Dr. Bruce Prescott said...

Michael,

Making commenters us a google account goes along with being able to moderate the comments.

You don't want to see the spam that accumulates on unmoderated blogs.

Every "enhancer," "enlarger" and scammer on the face of the earth has someone spamming weblogs these days.