Friday, September 02, 2011

Beware Kenmore Refrigerators

Kenmore refrigerators are not what they used to be and the Sears service department is worse than a bad joke.

On October 16, 2007 we bought a top-of-the-line Kenmore Elite stainless steel clad refrigerator. The stainless steel cosmetics cost me twice as much as most plain vanilla refrigerators its size. We bought it to replace a now 22 year old plain vanilla Amana refrigerator that is still at work in our basement.

On August 15, 2011 I paid $295.00 for a repairman to replace the switch that turns the compressor on. My wife was out-of-town and I lost about $300.00 worth of frozen food before discovering that the compressor was not working.

Today my wife discovered that the compressor on the refrigerator is not working again. This time we caught it before losing all our perishables. We moved them to the 22 year old Amana.

I just had an online chat session with Aden Fernandez who works on the Sears service department website.

The earliest he can schedule a repairman to look at my refrigerator is September 12th. He advised me that I could expect another stiff repair bill.

You make the call. Would you pay for more repairs? Would you buy another Kenmore appliance? Would you trust a company with this kind of service?

4 comments:

Dr. Bruce Prescott said...

I asked Aden Fernandez to send me an e-mail with the full text of our chat session. He assured me that he would.

22 hours later, I have yet to receive an e-mail with the text of our chat session.

Flee said...

We have always bought Sears Kennmore appliances. We have a washing machine from 1989, a stove from 1984, a dishwasher from 1990, and a refrigerator from 2000. We had a bad experience with a Maytag repairman, sears could not send anyone for two weeks they were helping with a flood. This guy replaced a water pump on the washing machine, it still wasn't working, told me he needed to take the machine back to his shop and rebuild the motor or transmission. I told him no and waited for the Sear's repairman. He replaced the "new" water pump the other guy installed and it work just fine. That was back in the early 1990s and made me trust Sears over the "other guys." The compressor was replaced last month? I would tell them they would be covering the bill and ask to speak to the next supervisor until you reached someone who fixes it.

SearsCare said...

To Dr. Bruce Prescott,

I'm so sorry that your refrigerator failed so soon and for the issues that you've had with Sears Repair. Please know that your original repair is covered by a 90 day warranty and if the technician must repair the same issue, you will not be charged for the second repair appointment. We value your business and would like to help you resolve this issue. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears. At your convenience, please contact our office at smsupport@searshc.com. Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide your name (Dr. Bruce Prescott) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
James H.
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

Dr. Bruce Prescott said...

Information requested sent to SearsCare.