Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What Does it Profit?

News reports indicate that Dick's Sporting Goods has suspended sales of assault rifles like the one used in the massacre of school children at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut.

Why didn't somebody at Dick's consider the ramifications these weapons could have on corporate reputation and profit before this incident?

Many years ago, while I was a seminary student, I worked as a Security Manager for JCPenney's. At that time they sold sporting goods, including firearms. At one time, Penney's sold a pistol grip shotgun with an 18 inch barrel. The manufacturer called it a "Snake Charmer." It didn't look like a snake charmer to me. I had worked for a Police Department for five years. To me, it looked like a sawed-off shotgun.

I wrote a letter to the District Manager and asked him why Penney's sold an easily concealable shotgun that appeared perfectly designed to be attractive to the criminal element of society. I suggested that a sensational crime using such a weapon could seriously damage the company's reputation.

Within a week, the weapons were pulled from the stores and the District Manager called to thank me for calling his attention to this item.

1 comment:

mutehayyir said...

I admire for your initiatives. Thanks and may the Lord reward you for what you have done...