Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Good Day to Be Living In Oklahoma

Today is certainly a good day to be living in Oklahoma.

As I drove to work today the newscaster reported that the far edge of Hurricane Ike was washing up where my daughter lives in Gulf Port, Mississippi.

Minutes ago I learned Hurricane Ike has turned toward Houston and that the neighborhood where we lived in Friendswood (zip code 77546) is under a mandatory evacuation order. And worse, the Houston Chronicle has posted maps that indicate my old house will be under water if a force 3 hurricane arrives on Ike's current trajectory.

We have to dodge some monster tornadoes in Oklahoma, but they come and go fairly quickly and the damage rarely matches what a hurricane can do.

To my friends fleeing the storm in Houston, I've got a couple spare rooms and a couple sofa's that are free in Norman. All we've got up here is a little rain.

No comments: