Brian Kaylor has posted a story at Ethics Daily about some strong criticism of the "American Patriot's Bible" that is being promoted by a former President of the Southern Baptist Convention's Pastor's Conference and sold by the SBC's Life Way Resources.The article already gives an indication of my revulsion toward this kind of idolatrous fusion of nationalism and religion, so I won't repeat it here. I'll just offer another observation.

I am repeatedly struck by the similarity between the religious sentiment of American Christian Nationalists and the Nazi Deutsche Christians. The mindset is the same. Only the nationalities have changed.

To tell the truth, the relentless rising crescendo of religious nationalism in this country scares me more than the threat of Islamic extremism. The only time I was ever face-to-face with a Muslim extremist, he wasn't armed. I'm face-to-face with armed-to-the-teeth Christian Nationalists, Dominionists, and Christian Identity adherents on a daily basis.
On his weblog today Wade Burleson is praising God that SBC fundamentalists are not using stones to assassinate the character of their fellow Baptists.
The way gun sales have increased since Obama's election, I'm beginning to think it would be better to see a shortage of stones.
1 comment:
You might find this of interest: "The only Christian nation is the Kingdom of God”
http://mattstone.blogs.com/christian/2009/05/the-only-christian-nation-is-the-kingdom-of-god.html
Post a Comment