Friday, September 10, 2010

Baptist Communitarians Assert Themselves in North Carolina

Aaron Weaver at the Big Daddy Weave weblog and Tony Cartledge at the Baptists Today Blogs have offered strong critiques of the proposed "foundational statements" for the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of North Carolina.

I have not had time to review any of these statements, but you can be certain that I will weigh in about this as soon as I am finished with the other obligations on my time that are pressing this weekend.

With nothing but a quick glance at these documents and blogs, I would suggest that underlying the concern of the communitarians is the post-modern legitimacy crisis that began with the Protestant Reformation.

In my opinion, the hands on the clock of time won't turn back. Sooner or later, communitarians are going to have to learn to live with a post-modern world.

1 comment:

Randy said...

This would be an interesting conversation to have. I've always thought that communitarianism was at least partly driven by a reaction to the individualist epistemology of modernism.