Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Reagan's Assistant General Counsel Speaks Out

Mikey Weinstein, formerly Assistant General Counsel for Ronald Reagan and founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, has posted an essay at OpEd News about his struggle to combat religious discrimination in the U.S. military. Weinstein filed the suit against the Air Force Academy that is still in litigation.

Here's a quote:

We can expect violence. The head cleric of St. David's Episcopal Church of Topeka, Kansas came out to support me; five hours later his church was burned to the ground. A synagogue where I spoke was desecrated. My home has been targeted by feces and beer bottles; our tires slashed; dead animals have twice been placed on our front porch. The death threats come in ceaselessly. It is not convenient and safe to confront and defy those in power; I know that but I refuse to back down. They may try to harm me but I will not go quietly; I will be a Jew from the Warsaw Ghetto, not Berlin. I will be an American from Lexington and Concord, not an American from Halliburton and Blackwater.

No comments: