The Washington Spectator has published an informative essay by Sarah Posner about the Alliance Defense Fund entitled "Army of God: The Legal Muscle Leading the Fight to End the Separation of Church and State."
My experience with the ADF convinces me that the organization is more successful in winning legal decisions for free speech than in challenging disestablishment. Their successful (but under appeal) argument defending the Haskell County Courthouse's Ten Commandments Monument was to defend the free speech rights of a private citizen to express his opinions by erecting a permanent granite monument on the courthouse lawn.
If this ruse passes muster with the higher courts, I predict that we will eventually see granite monuments expressing the free speech rights of private citizens of other faiths and of atheists on the courthouse lawn in Haskell County, Oklahoma.
There is no doubt that that is not what the Haskell County Commissioners had in mind when they approved the Ten Commandments monument, but that is what their testimony in court said they intended to permit.
1 comment:
Thank you for having this blog and making these posts!
I am Christian and I am saddened by what I have witnessed in the past few years. Politicians and Religious Leaders are using the label “Christian” to justify everything, and then calling unsupportive people sinners.
News Flash! We are ALL sinners.
Furthermore, more and more greed and hatred is what is being justified. These Political and Religious leaders are making me feel embarrassed to be a Christian. I do NOT want people to assume I support the greed and hatred being spewed. Rarely, do I hear these people supporting the Christian values I learned and grew up with as a kid. It makes me feel like there are two types of the Christian religion, the one I know & love and the one using the name ‘Christian’ to justify filling the world with hate to make a profit.
Finally, I think the people who feel the need to post the Ten Commandments everywhere are using God’s name in vain and they are building idols! These people cannot boost their self-esteem by Christian acts. So they boost it with the material idols the Old Testament warned about!
Post a Comment