Monday, June 12, 2006

AU Defends Wiccan Symbol on Memorials

Americans United has issued a press release encouraging the Veterans Affairs Department to accommodate Wiccan symbols on memorial markers at government cemetaries.

The department has been dragging its feet about putting the symbols on the memorial markers for soldiers of the Wiccan faith who have died serving our country in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State said, "Aside from the constitutional issues raised, this is a simple matter of justice and common decency."

7 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

Any thoughts on the issue of baptism at Henderson Hills Baptist Church in Edmond?

Erudite Redneck said...

Regardiong the topic of the post: I'm uncomfortable with this. By calling for accommodation for Wicca, AU is in effect seeking a crack in the wall between church and state. Better to insist that crosses be discontinued, no?

Jim Paslay said...

I guess I'm a little confused! You are okay with crosses in a cemetery but not a cross on a hill overlooking San Diego? Both are on federal land. Sounds inconsistent to me! By the way, when your group finds the term "separation of church & state" in the Constitution, please let me know!

Bruce Prescott said...

E.R.,

I prefer adhering to the requirement for "believer's baptism" in Baptist churches.

I don't see AU's support for Wiccan symbols as a crack in the wall between church and state. The constitution protects the right of all persons to freely exercise their own religion. Symbols of faith are constitutionally protected free speech on the individual tombstones and personal memorial markers of persons of all faiths.

Bruce Prescott said...

Jim,

Unless Uncle Sam's in the coffin, it's not federal land that is being marked.

You won't find the phrase "separation of powers" in the constitution either. I guess that's why we now have a monarch for an executive.

Unknown said...

Jim, there is a huge practical difference between the crosses on a tombstone, and a cross on a hill. The government rightfully acknowledges that it can be difficult to protect a soldier's right to practice their religion while serving. This is especially true of soldiers serving in combat. That is why tax dollars are allowed to pay for military chaplains from a variety of faiths. The tombstones work the same way. They are allowing individual soldiers, even in death, to practice their religion by being buried with the religious symbol of their choice. So, the military should allow Wiccan symbols on the tombstones. The cross on the hill is not protecting an individual's rights, and clearly volates the establishment clause of the constitution. While the phrase, "separation of church and state" does not appear in the constitution, the concept is clearly there. Kind of like the word "trinity". It doesn't appear in the Bible, but I bet you believe in that.

Erudite Redneck said...

"Click." I see now. Gracias.