Bob Jones III has endorsed Mitt Romney for President. Al Mohler thinks that endorsement is very significant.
I rarely agree with Al Mohler, but in this instance I agree. I think this endorsement is significant. It shows that even Fundamental Baptists like Bob Jones can relearn the value of Article VI of the U.S. Constitution which prohibits religious tests for public office.
Candidates for political office should be elected on the basis of their values, their competence and their policies, not on the basis of their religious affiliation.
Now, if we could just get them to learn that preachers have no business endorsing political candidates.
1 comment:
I agree that the endorsement is significant.
But, that does not mean that Jones or Mohler is backing off of a religious test for federal office.
It is just that the religion is maintaining the clout of the Religious Right by backing a winner. Political power is the deity in their religion. Denominational differences are small potatoes compared to winning.
The Religious Right Reverend Al Mohler is a High Priest of the Southern Baptist branch of their real religion.
Post a Comment