
TruthDig has posted an essay by Chris Hedges entitled "Democracy in America is a Useful Fiction." Hedges has long been warning that the U.S. has become a proto-fascist state. Hedges is much more pessimistic than I am, but, as the "military-industrial complex" (President Eisenhower's term) , the "terror-industrial complex" (Colin Powell's term) and multinational corporate "persons" (U.S. Supreme Court's term) secure more and more power, his warnings appear to be increasingly relevant.
Here's an insightful paragraph from Hedges latest screed:
The uniformity of opinion is reinforced by the skillfully orchestrated mass emotions of nationalism and patriotism, which paints all dissidents as "soft" or "unpatriotic." The "patriotic" citizen, plagued by fear of job losses and possible terrorist attacks, unfailingly supports widespread surveillance and the militarized state. This means no questioning of the $1 trillion in defense-related spending. It means that the military and intelligence agencies are held above government, as if somehow they are not part of government. The most powerful instruments of state power and control are effectively removed from public discussion. We, as imperial citizens, are taught to be contemptuous of government bureaucracy, yet we stand like sheep before Homeland Security agents in airports and are mute when Congress permits our private correspondence and conversations to be monitored and archived. We endure more state control than at any time in American history.
1 comment:
I have had people tell me that they don't care if the government monitors their emails, phone calls, and internet surfing if it helps in the fights against terrorism and besides they have nothing to hide anyway and anybody who objects is guilty of something.
I ask "are you a terrorist" they say no, then I say then why can't you have your privacy. Either I or they is not getting it.
These folks are the same that are supportive of the tea bagger movement.
I think its all kind of disturbing.
Post a Comment