Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Jefferson's Act Proposed in Oklahoma Senate

Oklahoma State Senator Tom Ivester of Sayre, Oklahoma has offered a joint resolution (SJR70) to amend the Oklahoma Constitution to include the text of Thomas Jefferson's Act for Religious Liberty.

Kudos to Senator Ivester.

Now, if we could get someone to offer a joint resolution to amend the Oklahoma Constitution to include the text of James Madison's Memorial and Remonstrance.

This could be a very good way to educate Oklahomans about the real original intent of our nation's founders regarding separation of church and state.

4 comments:

John King said...

Dr Prescott,

We need people like you who will continue to stand up and teach the facts about separation of church and state for the sake of American history and also for Baptist legacy.

Every Baptist church should have a Sunday devoted to this topic along with a clear explanation of the theological reasons for this historic Baptist principle

John King said...

I just read a post at ABC News/Blotter from Brian Ross that is dated January 18, 2010 that states that a contractor for rifle sights used by the US military in Irag and other countries have biblical references inscribed on the sights.

If this is true, it is outrageous and offensive. It violates the separation of church and state. On top of that it is highly offensive to Christians that see the basis of non-violence in the Christian message.

Have you heard anything about this?

Bruce Prescott said...

W.I,

I have heard about the bible references on gun sights.

Here's a link to a story about it:
http://www.ethicsdaily.com/news.php?viewStory=15491

Ethics Daily will have a follow up story with additional information in a few days.

John King said...

Dr. Prescott,

I read the article regarding the bible references on gun sights on ethicsdaily.com.

I think it was a very good article.

From my perspective, I would have added more about non-violence in the Christian tradition.