Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Religious Liberty For Me But Not For Thee?

Robert Parham has posted an essay at the Washington Post that highlights the best of the Baptist tradition in regard to religious liberty.

There are some remarkably uncivil remarks and incendiary videos opposing the erection of a mosque near the site of the World Trade Center.

Parham's essay offers a ray of light guiding more conscientious souls through some very dark shafts of bellicose rhetoric.

2 comments:

John King said...

I have read Dr. Parham's article at the Washington Post site. As I commented on the site:

I agree with Dr. Parham's comments completely. However, there is something that I fear. It seems that violence against people has been associated with Islam by some Muslims. I am tolerant of many things. As a Christian, I am not tolerant of violence. Some Mosques have become houses of worship in sheeps clothing, hiding a secret place of incitement to violence. I do not consider this observation as an argument against building the Mosque. It is more an admission of my fear. I can only pray that my faith can overcome my fear.

I think my reaction, admission and observation is relevant to one of your other posts regarding faith and fear.

TheoPoet said...

Apparently it's not even a mosque that's being constructed:

"a) The “Mega Mosque” is not a “Mosque” – mega, maxi, or mini. It’s a 13-story community center that will include a prayer room, a performing art center, a gym, swimming pool and other public spaces. It will be open to everyone.

b) The community centre will not be situated at Ground Zero. It’s being built on the site of an old factory two blocks away. Organizers of the demonstration wisely opted to stage their drama at a more iconic location, rather than at the site itself. Better rage generation, you see.

So to summarize – a community centre open to the public and supported by the City and the Borough is being built blocks away from Ground Zero."

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/06/on-the-not-mosque-at-not-ground-zero/

http://www.amazon.com/tag/history/forum/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx33HXI3XVZDC8G&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxLYQ0IVMTO0DC