The previous post was from my charitable side. I do want to give everyone -- even Fundamentalists -- the benefit of a doubt. Experience, however, sometimes makes me cynical.
My cynical side tells me that BGCO's calling their first ever female VP was a deft public relations move. It is perfectly timed to help deflect the glare of publicity that is coming as the story about Molly Marshall's treatment at Southern Seminary is being remembered and her appointment as President of Central Baptist Seminary is being announced. Molly is a native of Oklahoma and a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University.
I will discover which side is right -- charitable or cynical -- when I see how long it takes for BGCO to elect another woman to serve as Vice President. I suspect it will take more than a hundred years before they elect a woman to serve as President of BGCO and longer than that before a woman could be called as President of Oklahoma Baptist University. You can be sure that it will be a cold day in Hades before a woman ever serves as President of a Southern Baptist Seminary.
No comments:
Post a Comment