Monday, March 26, 2007

Richard Land -- Court Priest for a War Denomination

Kudos to Ethics Daily and Robert Parham for their unflinching stand against the cheerleading for the Iraq war by SBC leaders. In an essay about Richard Land's recent defence of Iraq war, Robert Parham says:

Richard has consistently misstated the rules of just war," Parham said. "Either he doesn't understand the rules or he misuses them because he is more politically loyal to President Bush than morally faithful to the biblical call for the prophetic voice."

"Having demanded a wedding ring from the Republican Party, Richard is now so wed to the president's failed war than he is a court priest for a pro-war denomination."
Parham's essay has already prompted one Baptist pastor to call for Land's resignation. Here's a quote from Mitch Randall's latest blog:

And to respond to Land's assertion that peace is an out-of-date idea, I call for his removal by Southern Baptists. Even though I no longer count myself a Southern Baptist, as a Baptist, I am horrified by his adamant support for war. I know faithful Christians within the SBC and they are not of the same ilk as Mr. Land. While many SBC messengers are more theologically conservative than me, I cannot understand how they can allow a fellow Baptist to continue his blind support of a policy that was built upon lies and deceit. When a person of ethics allows themselves to be persuaded by party loyalty over sound argumentation and the truth, then he or she must be forced out. In the words of Robert Parham, editor of Ethics Daily, with Mr. Land at the helm the SBC has become a "pro-war denomination".
Randall is not the only Baptist pastor who is "horrified" by Land's adamant support for the Iraq war, but he is one of the few who has said so publicly.

When are the "conservative" Baptist pastors going to find their voice on this issue?

8 comments:

Jim Paslay said...

Bruce,

What edition of Southern Baptist bashing is this article? For someone who loathes our convention, why are you still a part of it? Do us a favor and hit the road! Moderates like yourself have been a pain in the backside for some time. Your SBC hating is borderline psychotic.

Dr. Land took over the Christian Life Committee back in the late 1980s and has been an effective voice as leader of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. I don't expect you or any other yellow-dog democrat to be supportive of conservative views that the ERLC has supported. You like spineless individuals like Foy Valentine and James Dunn. They are right up your alley!

Bottomline, many Southern Baptists support our troops and we also suppport the Commander-in-Chief. We are challenged by Scripture to pray for President Bush. I know that is foreign to you, Bruce. We know that fighting the war on terrorism is not easy and will require guts and determination, two things democrats know nothing about!

It is a good thing we didn't know alot about D-Day back in 1944, because the liberal media today would have been calling for Roosevelt's head and you would have led demonstrations in the streets to bring our boys back home.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Paslay,

I am a Christian Southern Baptist, and have been since the early 1970's. You do not speak for me, nor do you speak for a lot of Southern Baptists. A lot of us are horrified at how we were lied to and deceived to gain our support for a war, and horrified at how that war has been carried out. The toll on our military men and women, and yes, the toll on innocent Iraqi citizens is an abomination. Anyone who knows Jesus Christ and is familiar with His teachings, knows He would NOT approve of this war. Many Southern Baptists are waking up and realizing you cannot serve God if you are busy campaigning for a politician, not matter what party he belongs to.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Wow! Pasley's diatribe was over the top. I have also asked you, Bruce, why you sometimes seem obsessed with the SBC. It hardly seems healthy, all these years after the takeover.

But Land's position HAS continually misstated Just War Theory and since he does his work in the public sphere, it is fair game for non-SBs and dissident-SBs, not just "true believers." I suspect Bruce prays for Bush the same way many of us do--for him to repent of his warmongering, torture, and other human rights abuses.

But, I have to say, the most surprising thing about Pasley's remarks was referring to either Foy Valentine or James Dunn as "spineless!" You have to be kidding me. I have known both men and agreed with them at least 80% of the time, never 100%. But whether I agreed or disagreed, I never even thought about considering either of them spineless. Even their fiercest opponents have known that they have the courage of their convictions. (Sometimes they have lacked tact and diplomacy, but NEVER courage.)

sepherim said...

Come on Jim. Where do you get a warrant for telling baptist moderates to "hit the road." Please stop assuming that because the so-called conservatives had a majority they got a monopoly. There are still many members of SB churches that would fit in the moderate category if they cared about the labels in the first place. And they continue to serve in churches just as they always did with little thought ever given to what goes on at convention level. It was the leaders who were moderates, like Gene Garrison and Lavonn Brown, who were disenfranchised, not the members.

And anyone who can call James Dunn spineless has obviously never been in a discussion with him. I have never know James to be dispassionate about any subject. And when you get him on one that he is really passionate about, like religious freedom, you had better watch out.

Jim Paslay said...

To tammyjo58:

I don't believe I said I speak for you or other Southern Baptists. But I do know that there still many who support and pray for President Bush. Would I like to see the war end? Yes! Would I like to see the soldiers come home? Yes, as soon as they accomplish their mission. To cut and run as many like you advocate is to ask for the terrorists to come to this country and do the things they do on a daily basis in Iraq.

To michael:

I agree, I was over the top when I used the word "spineless" to describe Valentine and Dunn. I should have used the word "clueless" instead. They were so out of step with many Southern Baptists when they were in leadership positions. And they couldn't comprehend it either.

Bill Jones said...

Jim Paslay, You were "over the top"??? Yes, and Adolf Hitler "was a little excessive." I don't know when I've read such offensive slander. Foy and James are worthy of respect and admiration for the way that they stood up to the SBC political machine rather than goose-step in lockstep with it, as many of you chose to do. Thank God they were "out of step" with the SBC leaders & their followers. Prophets are rarely "in step"; instead, they challenge popular beliefs and practices. So have I gone "over the top," Jim? You continually chide Bruce for "bashing" the SBC leaders. They deserve every bit of bashing that they get from Bruce or anyone else, for they have chosen to reflect the ethics of Paige Patterson & Paul Pressler rather than the ethics of Foy Valentine, James Dunn, T. B. Maston, and (God forbid) Jesus Christ.

Jim Paslay said...

To Bill Jones:

I shouldn't be surprised that a moderate like yourself would use me in the same sentence as Adolf Hitler. I think that is way over the top!

It still fascinates me that you guys have such a hatred for conservatives within our convention. The spin machine from the moderate camp did a good job. For you to defend Valentine and Dunn shows the theological problems that existed in our convention. Foy Valentine signed on to the Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights back the in late 1970s. That was inexcusible for him to do that as the leader of the CLC. The only logical response is to be pro-life and not pro-choice.

For you to defend James Dunn who was a board member for the People for the American Way is beyond explanation. No wonder Southern Baptists as a whole were fed up with the BJC and finally defunded it. Dunn has no one but himself to blame. I don't see how a Christian in good conscience can be a member of such an anti-Christian group like the PFAW. But moderates have never had a problem compartmentalizing things. They took after their daddy, Bill Clinton!

By the way, with respect to Valentine and Dunn, it is not slander, the truth hurts!

BrotherBrendan said...

I got to say this blog is Biblically and morally right to call the SBC a war denomination and Land as its high priest. Many years ago I got saved while attending a Baptist church and left it a year later as I could not stand much of its teaching.
Since 1965 when I left, it has only gotten worse and not better with its support for the Vietnam War, Reagan and the Contra War, then Bush in Iraq.
First of all Just War in nowhere stated in the Bible. It was imported by Augustine the moral pervert who sanctioned Constantine. Augustine also sanctioned war against heretics, as well as their torture. The RC Church picked up an that and refined it for many years. They have abandoned that for many years now.
Then the SBC comes along with its heretical Dispensationalism, Zionism and sucking at the teat of capitalism to build its little religous empire.
The SBC is as heretical as Richard Land for supporting this war and the moral Nazi named George W. Bush. Richard Land appears to be no better than the Reich-Bishop of a failed leader named Adolf Hitler.
If anything is psychotic, it is the SBC: no morals, no ethics, no Good News of Jesus. Richard Land needs to be indicted as a war criminal. Every bodybag which came back from Iraq has the Baptist seal of approval on it.