Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jeff Zurheide Passes (Revised)


I received notice that Jeff Zurheide, former pastor of First Baptist Church in Oklahoma City, passed away yesterday.

In my opinion, Jeff was the most courageous Baptist minister in the state of Oklahoma during the years that he was at First Baptist in OKC. He was also the premier scholar-preacher in the state.

Don't take my word for it. Examine the record for yourself. Here are some links from the archives of the Mainstream Messenger:

Response to the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message

Herschel Hobbs on Baptist Freedom: The 2000 Herschel H. and Frances J. Hobbs Lecture Series at Oklahoma Baptist University.

First Baptist Church Drops Out of the SBC

Distortions by Preservationist Newsletter Destroying Herschel Hobbs Legacy
Today a lyric from an old song appears sad but true: "It seems the good, they die young."

I'll just add my "Amen!" to the "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" that he's already heard from his Maker.

Associated Baptist Press has run an obituary.

1 comment:

That Baptist Ain't Right said...

A good man. I had not heard of his passing. Thanks for the links as I have bookmarked them & intend to make sure his remarks are used often.