Bottom line: I wish Christian people would simply state the plain truth and stop spiritualizing everything. How many pastors say "God has called me to another church" when it is more accurate to say "I have an opportunity to go to a bigger church that will pay me a larger salary which will possibly enhance the opportunties and influence I have in terms of my ministerial career." I, frankly, would find the latter--if ever said--refreshing.
Monday, October 19, 2009
On Using God
Wade Burleson has posted an insightful blog about the facility with which some Christians use God as an explanation for actions with questionable integrity and intentionality. He cites some notorious examples within the SBC takeover movement and makes a worthwhile suggestion:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good point. I read the linked blog post.
I have a real problem also with people talking about God telling them this or that. Maybe I'm just jealous but God hasn't really told me to do much of anything. Sometimes my conscience talks to me, sometimes I listen to it. Sometimes things feel right and other times things feel wrong. I'm not ready to chalk these feelings up to God yet.
Post a Comment