Friday, January 28, 2005

On the Church's Response to Torture

Thanks to Camassia for her discussion on ecumenicism and torture and for providing the link to Diana Ortiz's article on Zero Tolerance for Torture.

Ortiz's story is heartbreaking -- a Roman Catholic Nun teaching poverty stricken children who was abducted and tortured in Guatemala. Two things she said moved me:

My ministry today is focused on preventing torture, and I find it painful, as do other survivors, that the church has been so silent on this issue.
and
When I first heard people were advocating for the legalization and use of torture in this country, I was very angry. It was almost like what we had experienced was irrelevant and that they were saying it was OK for us to have been tortured.
None who read her story will have an excuse for apathy on this issue.

No comments: