Sunday, February 12, 2006

Phil Strickland Promoted


Phil Strickland, Director of the Christian Life Commission for the Baptist General Convention of Texas, has passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Phil was a good friend to moderate, mainstream Baptists. He was a tireless champion for human rights, an articulate advocate for the hungry and the poor, a faithful mentor of historic Baptist principles, and a staunch supporter of church/state separation.

In Baptist life, few have been as influential and effective as he was in his advocacy for social justice. The Christian love that he demonstrated throughout his life leaves a long legacy.

3 comments:

David G said...

This is a sad day. I returned to Texas in 1991 and was introduced to Phil as someone who might help. I was a Baptist minister, recently separated, who had just moved from Georgia to Texas. Phil took the time to introduce me to a number of people who were instrumental in helping me pull my life together. He also invited me to work in the CLC office as a volunteer. Over the next several years he would check in to see if I was interested in returning to the pastorate. There was no reason for him to do any of this other than that he chose to care. I had little contact with Phil over the past few years but the memory of his kindness remains with me. Our world is much poorer for his death. My heart is broken for his family and for all of us who feel his loss.

David G said...

This is a sad day. I returned to Texas in 1991 and was introduced to Phil as someone who might help. I was a Baptist minister, recently separated, who had just moved from Georgia to Texas. Phil took the time to introduce me to a number of people who were instrumental in helping me pull my life together. He also invited me to work in the CLC office as a volunteer. Over the next several years he would check in to see if I was interested in returning to the pastorate. There was no reason for him to do any of this other than that he chose to care. I had little contact with Phil over the past few years but the memory of his kindness remains with me. Our world is much poorer for his death. My heart is broken for his family and for all of us who feel his loss.

Pamela said...

I have blogged my ponderings on the passing of Phil and other Baptist and civil rights giants already this year, and I invite you to read them there.