The report shows that between 1999 and 2005 poverty in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area has increased by 2.0%, that poverty in the central city itself has increased by 3.9%, and that poverty in the suburbs around Oklahoma City has increased by 5.1%.
AP interviewed Alan Berube, a co-writer of the Brookings report, to learn some of the causes for the increase in poverty in American suburbs. Here's one of the causes he cited:
America's suburbs are becoming more diverse, racially and economically. "There's poverty really everywhere in metropolitan areas because there are low-wage jobs everywhere," Berube said.It seems fairly obvious to me that the fastest way to address this as a cause for poverty is to increase the minimum wage.
To discover the rate at which poverty increased or decreased at a metropolitan area near you, you can download the report by clicking here.
1 comment:
I can only imagine how bad some families are having it these days. I am a teacher and my husband is an electrician. We live week to week, pay check to pay check. The problem is compounded when my husband finishes up a job and gets laid off, which is normal in the construction trades. It's very stressful, especially this time of year. Every time I read or hear how "good" our economy is, I have to ask myself, "What world are they living in?"
Post a Comment