Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Public School Classrooms are not the Place for Evangelism

The New York Times has published a story about the public classroom evangelistic efforts of a school teacher in Kearney, New Jersey.

Public school classrooms are no place for evangelism.

Religious education should be done under the supervision of the children's parents -- preferably in the home or a house of worship.

1 comment:

P M Prescott said...

I know how easy it is for students to misreport and even take what's recorded on tape out of context. But from what I've read of the article the guy went well over the line. A history teacher should know how to objective not subjective, to present the views of the different religions in a nuetral, non-biased way. It is impossible to teach history without explaining the religious beliefs of those making history. Explaining doesn't mean promoting as this group is right and that one is wrong. It's up to the students to come to their own conclusions. In the same situation I would be complaining to the school too.