Friday, December 08, 2006

Regarding Credibility on National Security

Paul Krugman has written an insightful essay about credibility on national security under the title "They Told You So." It provides a Who's Who of quotes from people whose advice was ignored and unreported during the run-up to the war in Iraq.

Here's a quote from one of them:

Barack Obama, now a United States senator, September 2002: "I don't oppose all wars. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne."

2 comments:

P M Prescott said...

As much as I like and respect Bill Richardson, after seeing Barak on Jay Leno my vote would go to him. None of the other Dems, including Hillary, really make me think things would change or we would get out of the mess in Iraq.
I think it's pretty clear that Cheney is still pulling dubbya's strings and nothing is going to change between now and 2008.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Thanks for the heads up, Bruce. I linked to this because it was so important. As one of those who "told everyone so" ahead of time, I wish I could feel better about being right.