One thing is for sure: we're light years and a religious political revolution from John F. Kennedy's candidacy in 1960, when he famously declared that "I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute" and "I believe in a president whose views on religion are his own private affair."
That was a winning message then. Today it would be a voice in the wilderness--on both sides of the partisan aisle.
Friday, January 04, 2008
The "God Strategy" Wins in Iowa
I've heard comparisons between the 1960 and 2008 presidential campaigns several times today. Neither Huckabee nor Obama, however, hold a candle to Jack Kennedy in regard to the First Amendment. David Domke and Kevin Coe explain why in an essay at Common Dreams about both Obama and Huckabee's "God strategy." Here's a quote:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Since you are Baptist, of course
I think that you are a deluded
fool.
But I have to agree with you on
this post!
I find it sad and worrisome that so many people fail to recognize the danger of establishing a government wherein power is held by the political ruler and the religious leaders of a single faith tradition, or worse, by an individual who is both. I gather that you find Rev. Huckabee less firm in his resolve to prevent this than was Kennedy. What ever happened to all the things they hammered into our heads in high school civics classes about the constitution, or checks and balances? Do you think that we can avert this potential catastrophe?
I say,"Punishment based religions don't bring out the best in me. They scare me and make me afraid to change and grow. I prefer religions based in love or awareness. They have the opposite effect."
http://reekinghavoc.spaces.live.com/
Post a Comment