Saturday, January 19, 2008

Regarding Huckabee's Future

P.M. Carpenter, an editorialist at Buzz Flash, has some interesting comments on Mike Huckabee's campaign in South Carolina:

Mr. Huckabee might survive today's crucible, but what he encounters from there is a largely secular brick wall, and, paradoxically, it's Huckabee who made it stronger.

In his immoderate desperation to motivate his one and only base -- economic populism doesn't stir the hearts of many among the GOP faithful -- Mike simply went too far. He shivered the spines of the theocratically wary, and even spooked the holy fence-sitters.
Carpenter, however, is premature in counting Huckabee out of the race for the GOP nomination. I wish I thought the "secular brick wall" he talks about was as strong as he seems to think it. Instead, I see more bricks being knocked out of the wall separating church and state.

I just think that, with Democrats falling all over themselves to display their religiosity, Republicans like Huckabee are feeling free to speak more openly about the theocratic impulses of the planks they have long been putting in their party's platform.

No comments: