Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Is the President In His Own World?

I've been reading stories on the internet about President Bush being cold, insulting and rude to people who tell him things that he doesn't want to hear. Previously I've suspected those reports were Democratic dirty tricks or stories planted by Democrats to discredit the President.

Since Hurricane Katrina, stories like this are appearing in the mainstream media with increasing frequency. Yesterday's Washington Post has a story, "Now They Tell Us," that says the President is "surrounded by an echo chamber of terrified sycophants." Time Magazine has an article entitled, "Living Too Much in a Bubble" and Newsweek ran a story about "How Bush Blew It."

Five years ago I thought the mainstream media had credibility. Today I am much more skeptical. If these stories are true, they paint a picture of a man who is out of touch with reality. I suspect the unvarnished truth is that he has surrounded himself with incompetents. That's more than enough to be worried about.

Technorati Tags ,

5 comments:

Roger said...

We have to remember that the secular world media machine (Washington Post, Time magazine, Newsweek) is not something that will be working towards the things of God. Scripture tells us that it is exactly opposite - that the unbelieving world is deceived and their eyes are blinded to the truth. So, as Christians we must pray to be able to discern what is truth and what is not. Of course our natural selves will want to get caught up in the trappings of this world (secular news sources, political parties, putting tradition over truth, etc). The good news is that we don't have to sit and wonder and try to process it all on our own, we simply need to seek God's will and pray that He will guide us in truth. Ultimately our hope is in Him and not the political parties or personalities that the world will declare as our hope. I don't know about you, but that gives me peace so I don't worry about the things that I used to worry about.

P M Prescott said...

Roger,
get a grip. God has nothing to do with this. The mainstream media has been taken over by the neo coms so that it has taken over four years for them to start reporting Bush's ineptitude. Bush being inept is fact as this despicable turn of events has shown even the most blind. Bush is inept -- God is only involved if you think Bush is God.

Roger said...

My hope is not in Bush. My hope is in God. If we put our hope in our leaders or political parties, we will be disappointed. Just look at the responses of many Americans after the hurricane. They're only hope was in government - so when something came along that was bigger than any branch of government - they were disappointed, angry, and confused. That's sad and definitely should be a concern to us who know where hope really is - in a relationship with Jesus Christ. The enemy is real, and he wants us to get sucked into that tactic of concerning ourselves with the things that an unbelieving world concerns itself with. The end result is that Christians are not shining a light, not sharing hope, and not sharing truth.

Bruce Prescott said...

Roger,

God isconcerned about justice. That is what governments are ordained to secure.

I do not believe that God was in the least bit pleased with this administration's preparation for or response to Hurricane Katrina.
Nor do I believe that God is pleased with evangelical Christians for supporting governments and policies that keep the poor in isolated enclaves that are abandoned in both fair and foul weather.

Roger said...

How do we know what God is concerned about? We go to scripture, right? That is outside of the influence of politics and personal opinion. God is not limited by the current administration. Are we hoping for a political change for things to get better or are we praying to God to help us in a time such as this? That was my point earlier. God is so much bigger than politics or our finite minds. Why are we limiting Him by relegating Him to the sidelines as we blame each other? I believe that grieves God too.