Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Frog's in the Kettle


Today's Guardian reports that "Global Warming Hits Tipping Point." Like frogs in a kettle being slowly brought to a boil, the heat is rising all around us. Predictably, the frogs who lead our country refuse to believe we have a problem.

Scientists are reporting that a million square kilometer area of permafrost in Siberia is thawing out for the first time in 11,000 years. As it thaws it will release billions of tons of methane gas into the atmosphere. That means that sooner than anyone predicted, the earth is going to be seeing "a 10% to 25% increase in global warming."

I don't think I'll be signing for any long term mortgages in Florida or Louisiana or on coastal property anywhere.

7 comments:

jayne said...

Hi Bruce. I've been following your blog. This is very frightening...I live in south La. Not looking good...Guess we'll be moving after all, sooner or later. And we do love our home state. My husband's Cajun roots can be traced back centuries. I feel helpless. I guess in reality, everyone will be affected by this...nay-sayers, those who label the findings as "junk science" may soon be eating their words. I recently saw a temperature chart pertaining to just how hot things will get...All I can say is...Yikes.

saddened Z...

David Flick said...

Bruce, I think it'll be another two million years before the water's hot enough to cook the frog.

In my humble opinion, my radical environmentalists friends are blowing mostly hot air. Count me among the nay-sayers because I'm inclined to agree with Steven Milloy of the Cato Institute, who declares that the Global Warming proponents are practicing/believing "Junk Science." If I end up eating words, I'll deal with that when the time comes. But mostly, I'm not alarmed because the earth's heating and cooling cycles have been around for millions of years. These cycles are likely to continue for the next million years or so. I'm sure intelligent minds will figure out how to deal with whatever temperature changes that occurs over the next millennium. I'll be long gone to heaven by the time that occurs. Or perhaps the "junk science" will be proven wrong by then...

Greek Shadow said...

I imagine those who lived in what is now the Mediterranean Sea twelve thousand years ago said the same thing until the Atlantic Ocean crashed through Gibralter.

Conrad said...

The current administrations head in the sand attitude towards issues such as global warming is one ot the reasons that I am no longer a Republican.

zenmomma3, I would sure like to know where you saw the temperature chart.

jayne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jayne said...

Conrad,
This was the interactive guide (I think I called it a chart) I saw @ BBC News.
Hope you don't mind my posting this here, Bruce...

Z

Dr. Bruce Prescott said...

zenmomma3,

Thanks for the link.