Friday, September 30, 2005

Controversy, Over Torture?

Thanks to Normon Solomon for his essay "Torture and the 'Controversial' Arc of Injustice."

He expresses the incredulity of many Americans when he writes:
Torture. Controversial. In 2005 -- not 1505, 1705 or 1905 -- in the 21st century, in a country that claims to be at the world's vanguard of democracy and human rights.

The only thing I find more incredible is the guilty silence of most "evangelical" church leaders on this issue.
Technorati Tags ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

The silence of Christians in this instance is not only an indictment of some Christian leaders, but also an indictment of the entire Christian population in this country. The torture has created barely a ripple among the very people who should be most outraged. We cannot use our "leaders" as our excuse. We use the same Bible, believe in the same Saviour, pray to the say God, we are all accountable to God for how we deal with this and other issues and situations. He will not let us use the excuse, 'But my Pastor said." I am appalled by the actions of my "Christian Nation," in this instance, but I haven't done much more than express those feeling to selected people. I am just as guilty as the Christian who sees nothing wrong with the practice of torture in the first place. Lord help us all.

God Bless,
TammyJo58

Marty said...

Tammy Jo, when I've voiced my opinion on this subject, most of the time, I am quickly put in my place very rudely and forced to keep silent and the subject is abruptly changed.

Nathan said...

Unfortunately nationalism all to often takes a backseat to some people's faith when they conflict. We won't be judged on how good an American we were when we stand before Him.