Greg interviewed two of Oklahoma's most prominent Christian Reconstructionists for this story. Neither was shy about admitting the influence of R. J. Rushdoony on their thinking.
Charlie Meadows, a former talk radio host in Norman and current president of the influential Oklahoma Conservative Political Action Committee, boasted of being a theocrat saying,
"I very much support a theocracy, but not an ecclesiastical theocracy," he said. I don't want all Baptists or all Assembly of God. What I would like are men and women of high moral character and integrity seeking to govern according to the principles of God."He added, "I don't think the founding fathers meant freedom of religion outside Christianity."
Bill Graves, a former State Representative who recently had to relinquish his office due to term limits, said: "One thing I got from reading Rushdoony and Russell Kirk is that the state is a religious establishment."
Oklahoma is one of the few states where theocrats are free to speak openly about their convictions. In other places they would loose support if they spoke so openly.
3 comments:
What a small world. I was just blogging on Rushdoony yesterday.
Peace,
Mike
Dr. Mike,
You are posting too many places for me to keep up with what you are saying.
Thanks for prompting me to check the "Emmaus Theory" blog again. I've been going to your "Outside the Camp" blog lately.
Here's a link a link to Dr. Kear's post about Rushdoony.
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't rushdooney advocate some sort of biblical slavery system?
Post a Comment