Tuesday, June 14, 2005

FBI Neglecting Domestic Terrorism

Amy Goodman at Democracy Now recently interviewed Mike German, a former FBI agent who resigned in protest over the way the FBI was neglecting domestic terrorism. White Supremecists don't wear sheets and hoods any more. Today many work at blending in and acting like good ole boys. Mike German, however, says, "You know, once you're kind of attuned to their language and their codes and their symbols, I see that kind of stuff everywhere I go."

Personally, I know exactly what German means. Before I read Michael Barkun's Religion and the Racist Right: The Origins of the Christian Identity Movement, I could not make sense of much of what a few of my more "conservative" church members in Houston were saying. After I read Barkun's book and learned some of their language, codes, symbols and mythology, I have seen that kind of stuff in a lot of expected and unexpected places.

No comments: