Monday, June 27, 2005

SCOTUS Rules For Government Neutrality on Religion

The first of two expected rulings on ten commandment displays was delivered by the Supreme Court this morning. It affirms the government's neutrality in matters of religion. Here's a quote from Justice Souter:

"The touchstone for our analysis is the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion," Justice David H. Souter wrote for the majority.

"When the government acts with the ostensible and predominant purpose of advancing religion, it violates tha central Establishment clause value of official religious neutrality," he said.

2 comments:

P M Prescott said...

I rejoice in the two rulings issued today, and wholeheartedly agree with Souter's opinion affirming governmental neutrality, but I am worried that four out of the nine thought otherwise. Thirty years ago this would have been a unanimous decision and most of the country would have called it a no-brainer.

grandma1 said...

Out of context but I was greatful when they removed the drape from the statue of justice. I can't believe people in this day an age think they have to cover up art. Whats next a drape on the statue David? I see everybody is happy about the courts ruling everyone is taking credit.