Sunday, June 26, 2005

On White Privilege

Thanks to Natalie at the panta-ta-ethne blog for calling my attention to Peggy McIntosh's essay on White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack. Here are a couple quotes:

I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.
. . .
For me white privilege has turned out to be an elusive and fugitive subject. The pressure to avoid it is great, for in facing it I must give up the myth of meritocracy. If these things are true, this is not such a free country; one's life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own.

1 comment:

P M Prescott said...

I read throught the 50 white privelige list. Half of them apply in most states, but in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Texas the Hispanic community has become so large that they no longer apply. It does explain why Texas and California have such strong English Only support is because they feel many of these priveliges slipping out of their hands.