Sunday, July 24, 2005

Christians and the Gaza Pullout

In Israel there is intense internal conflict over the government's decision to pull Israeli settlers out of Gaza and hand it over to the Palestinians. Settlers and their supporters have been protesting the pull out and they have been courting the support of American Christians for their efforts.

The issues involved are complex. The Christians most likely to support the settlers hold to a dispensational form of theology that reads the book of revelation as if it were this morning's newspaper written in a secret code.

Slate Magazine has been running a series of stories entitled "Among the Believers" about current events in Israel. They are well worth reading. Here are the links: Full House at the King of Kings Assembly, Looking Beyond the Gaza Withdrawal, and Jesus and Jerusalem.

1 comment:

Bob Ferguson said...

Thanks Bruce for the links to the Slate articles. I confess I do not understand why some right wing evangelicals are so obsessed with Israel and the "Holy Land." I have always believed that Jesus is the fulfillment of all of the Old Testament prophecies and that the Church has replaced the "chosen people."