The Air Force has taken a step forward toward solving the problem of religious intolerance that permeates the atmosphere at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. It has admitted that it has a problem.
Lt. Gen. John Rosa, Jr., Superintendant of the Air Force Academy said, "As a commander, I know I have problems in my cadet wing. . . . I have issues in my staff, and I have issues in my faculty -- and that's my whole organization."
But then, the Air Force took a step back from solving the problem. Rosa also said, "If everything goes well, it's probably going to take six years to fix it."
Six years to get the people at the Air Force's most prestigous institution to abide by the Constitution of the United States?
If you can't do better than that, I say clean out the house and start over.
5 comments:
Why can't they fix the problem? Do they need to fire all the staff and start over? Tell the cadet that it willnot be allowed or they can leave. Are they waiting for everyone's enlistment to expire that might take 6 years.
It would seem to me that the whole problem would be solved by the issuing of one direct order. Thou shalt not force thy beliefs on others. If cadets or faculty can't follow a direct order they don't need to wear the uniform.
Well said, greek shadow...but rarely is something like that in the military so simple. Sure, the order is issued...in fact, it's already in place on this issue. But getting the cadets and staff to actually go out and enforce/live by that order requires some work.
It depends on how the order is issued and how serious they are about making the change happen. If it's given with a wink and a nod, then six years is only the beginning.
If, however, every step of the chain of command is held responsible for religious-based hazing, it can stop overnight. I saw it happen with the tradition of "tacking on a crow" on the Saipan - the Cap'n said he'd have every step between him and the work center supervisor at mast if he caught wind of it. It worked.
XT
True...very true. And in a big situation like this, it's changing a mindset that many of the leadership even share.
Post a Comment