Thursday, June 16, 2005

Rural Republicans Uphold Public Schools in Texas

The Christian Supremecist machine that has taken over the GOP in the large metropolitan areas of Texas did not expect to face resistance from their party's own legislators in rural areas, but that is what is happening.

The Speaker of the Texas House, Tom Craddick (R-Midland) was confident that he could deliver a pilot school voucher plan for his affluent Christian Supremecist backers in the last legislative session. His train was derailed by rural legislators from his own party who do not want to see already scarce funds siphoned off from their public schools.

How they defeated the proposal is most enlightening. They amended the bill to place the pilot program in the districts of the legislators who sponsored the proposal.

Obviously, vouchers must be the answer to problems with everybody's public schools but your own. The teachers at your own public school have names and faces and they are doing more than should be reasonably expected with the inadequate resources they've been given.

5 comments:

P M Prescott said...

Ingenius, the sponsors would then be admitting that the schools in their districts were the ones that were no good, and would hence not get re-elected. Absolutely beautiful. Love it.

grandma1 said...

I don't like your new photo, it doesnt look like you.

Frederick Clarkson said...

This is a gteat story! ... and a natural for Talk to Action. We want to highlight success stories and how and why they worked. This is in many ways, a model of the kind of stuff I would most like to see posted from around the country.

educat said...

It really does change the debate when a face is put with the public schools. When I encounter that talk in person I tend to take the dialogue to first person and I get "Oh, but you're one of the good ones.".

educat said...

It really does change the debate when a face is put with the public schools. When I encounter that talk in person I tend to take the dialogue to first person and I get "Oh, but you're one of the good ones.".